Tuesday, October 11, 2011

LATE SUMMER FLAVORS: ROASTED GREEN CHILES

Chile roasterIt’s a rainy day in Likely, California, a tiny town on Hwy 395 in the northeast corner of the state.  We stopped for two nights at the Likely Place RV Resort and Golf Course (click here to read our review and see photos), where Odel dreamed he would be out on the links.  Not today!  Staying warm and dry inside, I’m going to share another recipe with you – it’s the season for chiles!

Roasted chiles… yum.  Walking through a late summer farmers market, the fragrance of roasting green chile peppers is unmistakable.  Draw closer to the roaster and you’ll hear the crackle and pop of chile skins blistering as they tumble over the hot flame of the roaster.  I never pass up roasted chiles, so usually head into winter with several bags and varieties in our freezer, most of which disappear into posole.

I make cream soups less than once a year – with so many delicious soup recipes, why consume the extra calories and cholesterol added with cream or half and half?  Recently, I made an exception – a very delicious exception. 

Market ChilesWhen we saw roasted chiles in the Eugene farmers market last month, I bought several baggies full (NOT the bags on the left, a photo I took in Santa Fe, NM), then went looking for a new recipe to try.  I don’t remember where I originally found the recipe for Green Chile Chowder, but it’s been in my “recipes to try” file for a long time, waiting for someone else to do the chile roasting.  Bingo!  Motive and opportunity, as they say on the crime shows.

The original recipe calls for two Jalapenos and four Poblanos.  I bought and roasted one LARGE red Jalapeno, and replaced the four Poblanos with what I had in my freezer: two Poblanos and four Anaheims.  The soup was rich and spicy, with a smooth flavor; we rated it medium-hot with the combination of chiles I used.  It made 8 servings, which meant two dinners for Odel and me; delicious the first night, even more complex and yummy gently warmed two nights later. 

This chowder would make a delicious centerpiece for a vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner: Green Chile Chowder, a corn dish (or cornbread), roasted butternut squash or yams, cranberry sauce… and maybe a Green Chile Apple Crisp for dessert (along with the pumpkin and pecan pies).  Never had green chiles in your apple crisp?  Well, eat your ice cream with strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper, then we’ll move on to our next dessert adventure.  :)

If you can’t pass up a roasted chile, give this chowder a try.  It’s the season.

14 comments:

  1. "Cream" soups can be made with dry non-fat milk mixed up very strong to simulate "cream". There are still calories, but no fat. No doubt it is "creamier" using real cream, but for the healthful advantages, the non-fat milk powder is splendid - and easily stored without refrigeration.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of the vegetarian thanksgiving dinner. But for those of us whose palates go light on the flames, what is medium hot? If 10 is FLAMING - must have fire extinguisher after first bite and 1 is can't taste even a twang of hot. Where is "medium hot". Not being from the SouthWest or even having visited very often, recommendations, without clarification, can be dangerous to my tongue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Judie: I can ALWAYS count on you for excellent ingredient advice!

    @Sherry: Chile "heat" is totally subjective, isn't it? What I consider a 5, you might consider a 10. Someone who thinks that the diced chiles in a can are spicy should stick with the Anaheims. I think 3-4 Poblanos (no jalapeno) would make a nice "medium" chowder for someone who buys "medium" salsa, for instance. I'm glad I used just one jalapeno (it was big) in mine! And ALWAYS remove the seeds - they can add a lot of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh -- Yummmmmm Thanks for the GREAT Thanksgiving menu!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never roasted my own chilis, but in Ajo, AZ they have one of those big roaster baskets like in your blog..I love roasted peppers...Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never seen chiles roasting until we were in Colorado this year. I asked the manager of the stall what people did with them and he pointed me to a cookbook he was selling. I bought it of course but I should have know I could just come to you for advice. I'm looking forward to trying out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chowder sounds heavenly. I'm going to look for some roasted chilles at the local market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent today roasting red chili's. We have some green in the freezer We will give the chowder a try. My family (chili farmers) thank you for the plug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the chowder does sound very yummy..but the ice cream with strawberries, balsamic vinegar and black pepper now that is a weird combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another alternative to using cream is to use non-fat evaporated milk. It has the same consistency and in cooking you can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I have ever had roasted chiles! But they sound delicious. You vegetarian Thanksgiving sound yummy but I don't think I can get Paul to go for it. He needs his turkey! So he thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your blog and your couple toooooo.........:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything ok out there? Haven't heard from you in awhile so wanted to check in...

    hugs from your cuz,
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Aunt Julie and Uncle John just turned me onto your blog. They are some of your fellow RVer's. Can't wait to try some of your recipes. They look great.

    Debbie Iverson

    ReplyDelete