Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I CAN'T STOP SMILING

These beautiful flowers were a present to me, on my 58th birthday, from Odel's daughter Kim (thanks, Kim!). They are sitting on our table, looking beautiful and cheerful - which is exactly how the world looks to me today. I know cynicism will set in again, probably even soon, but right now I am basking in the glow of yesterday's election results.

Yes, it was history, and it puts a smile on my face to know that the majority of Americans (at least, voting Americans), can accept - and maybe even embrace -racial diversity. But I am happiest about the election results because they repudiated trends that have truly scared me.

It is wrong that a candidate's religous beliefs or religious affiliation can be used against them in a campaign. Hearing Obama smeared for being a Muslim - well, he isn't, but so what if he was? Since when does a candidate have to profess a belief in a Christian God - or any God - to be a good leader or representative? How did religious fanaticism become so prevalent in our public discourse? I am thrilled that Elizabeth Dole, who should be ashamed of her political ad calling her opponent "godless", was defeated.

Sarah Palin's McCain-approved comments about Obama "palling around with terrorists", her labeling of those who think like she does as the "real Americans" (so what does that make me??), her sneering at the "elitist media" and her embrace of "Joe Sixpack" - it all horrified me. Watching the bigots at her rallies respond by yelling threats at Obama scared me. I was appalled that McCain did not put a stop to it; he completely lost my respect over that.

I agree with people who feel Obama lacks experience, but there is no denying his oratorical skills. With such significant problems to be faced and solved, the ability to connect with, to inspire and to motivate Americans to constructive action (other than "go shopping") might be one of the more important attributes for a president taking office today. Last night, when I listened to Obama, I put my cynicism aside. I was moved. I am inspired, and hopeful, and excited. I turned 58 yesterday, and I am feeling younger than I have in the past 8 years. :)

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! And, thanks for sharing your viewpoint about the election and our future!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday!!! Our election results became a global celebration. There was a lot of mud slinging and I for one am glad it is over and now we can let the changes begin!!!
    Hugs,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are feeling a since of excitement, and yet know the difficult work is still before us. Your words mirror our thoughts these past few months during the election. Happy Birthday Laurie, and may the coming year be reflective of the change we all are looking forward to being apart of and may you and your beloved have a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it well. Very well, in fact....and I couldn't agree with you more!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started reading your blog recently and I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday and thank you for your wonderful election day post. I couldn't agree with you more. I, too, was horrified by the hate and ugliness displayed at the McCain/Palin rallies. ugh!

    Best of luck to Odel with his treatments. And thanks again for your wonderful, positive post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Laurie. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments about Obama's election. It is a proud day for Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday, Laurie, wish I'd known, I would have sent you a Happy Birthday "song" in your inbox. I'll have to remember that your birthday is 4 days after mine...

    Hugs, Sharon & Ron

    ReplyDelete