Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A FAVORITE NEW RECIPE

I found a great new cookbook at Costco recently, The New Whole Grains Cookbook. I want to incorporate more whole grains in our daily diet, so picked it up for inspiration.

It passed the first test of any new cookbook: the first recipe I made, for a wholegrain biscuit mix that you store in the refrigerator, is a real winner! I've added this link to Homemade Multigrain Biscuit Mix and 15-Minute Biscuits to my recipe list (left side of the blog).


I had to go searching for several of the ingredients - spelt flour and quinoa flakes were not in my pantry. I went to a health-oriented grocery store (Henry's) in Temecula, where I was able to buy many of the dry ingredients from the bulk bins (cornmeal, non-fat dry milk) and to find the more unusual items.

I hope you won't let the ingredient list dissuade you from trying the recipe - it goes together quickly after you do your shopping. The dry mix makes around 6 cups and stores well in the refrigerator. Once you have the mix on hand, you can have fresh, hot biscuits ready to eat 15 minutes after your think about 'em.

I have been baking the biscuits for us for breakfast - we have the delicous, slightly crunchy (thanks to the cornmeal), slightly sweet biscuits with jam, and the hot oven drives away the morning chill. Perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie - You could be fancy and call them scones, since that is the way scones are shaped and baked! Mix in a few bits of dried fruits with the water, or in the mix to start with, if desired.


    Virtual hugs,


    Judie

    ReplyDelete